Sunday, March 2, 2008

Arrogance & Stupidity

I was in my early 20's when I first started noticing something. I was meeting these people...not in great hordes, mind you, just one or two at a time...who displayed what I thought were contradictory characteristics: both arrogance and stupidity. I thought that was odd. But I was young. I was still foolish enough to believe if somebody was arrogant, it meant they had something to be arrogant about. Not only that, if they had something to be arrogant about they were entitled to be arrogant. Oh the foibles of youth!

I kept coming across this combination of personality traits. And even though I still thought it strange, I was getting used to it. By the time I was in my 30's, arrogance and stupidity in the same person was starting to seem common. Not only that, but I was starting to meet highly intelligent people who were...humble. And quiet. People who would frequently say things like, “I don't know.” I found these people much more to my liking. They actually had ideas, observations and impressions worth listening to.

Now that I'm in my 40's I can see it pretty clearly. Arrogance and stupidity go together because they're the same thing. In fact, I would say arrogance is merely one form among myriad forms of stupidity. But it took me this long to realize it. The artificial constructs of this culture so thoroughly saturate the collective consciousness, that even thinking people need a good 30 or 40 years to start seeing around them. This is quite depressing, considering the vast majority don't bother with thinking. Why should they? They have so many convenient alternatives.

From what I've read about gorillas, it seems the mighty chest pounding display of a big ol' silver-back is just that. A display. If you call his bluff, he'll back off. But he's so huge you'd probably not want to test that theory! So you believe him. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The person who yells the loudest is believed the most, regardless of what they say...or don't say. Who ever makes the biggest fuss gets the best service.

This society so over-values intelligence that its members feel compelled to fake a level of it they don't possess. “I don't know,” is not an acceptable response. But if they talk loud enough and long enough...even if it's about nothing...people with the same condition will forget the original question and take them seriously. Make an impressive enough display of assurance, authority or arrogance and most won't notice the stupidity...they don't want their own intelligence tested. It's like the mediocre garage band with loads of amplification but no talent.




Anne has finished her first novel and is busy peddling it to agents and publishers. She can be found wandering the streets of Crestone, CO and hanging out in Internet cafes. Contact her at annepyterek@gmail.com